Should You Remove the Baseboards Before Painting Them?
Painting the window and door trims can ensure that your interiors will look visually-appealing and more welcoming. The same applies when you paint the baseboards, which can be one of the most worthwhile home improvement projects you can ever spend time and budget on. You should also contact the best paint contractors in Franklin TN for your residential painting needs.
Painting the baseboards should not take a lot of your time unlike when you paint the entire ceiling or the walls of your room. You can opt to use an oil-based or water-based paint to paint the baseboard. Take note that the latter is usually easier to clean than oil-based paints.
However, paint experts recommend using a semi-gloss or high-gloss finish when painting the baseboard. Aside from being washable, a glossy finish is said to be more scuff-resistant. But when it comes to painting the baseboards, the question is whether to remove them or leave them in their place.
Should you remove the baseboard before painting it?
The answer is you can do both. On the one hand, most painters would keep the baseboard in place when painting it. However, there are also others that remove the baseboard and paint them elsewhere. So, it is really up to you whether you remove it or not. But there are also some things you need to consider before you decide to remove the baseboard or not.
If you remove the baseboard
It would be better to remove the baseboard before painting it in the following instances:
- If the baseboards have not been installed yet (ex. when you have just started to build your home or about to replace your old baseboard). Some damage might occur during the installation process. You can always repaint after the baseboard installation.
- If you are planning a remodel or renovation in your home. Removing the baseboard should be easy, either by using your bare hands or a pry bar.
If you keep the baseboard in place
On the other hand, it might be a better idea to keep the baseboard in place if you are working on an older structure. Otherwise, it can lead to irreversible wall damage and even damage your wall’s paint job. But if you still insist to remove the baseboard, make sure to use a utility knife or a pry bar.
Painting a baseboard
Before painting a baseboard, make sure to clean the surface first. Take note that you should not use water when cleaning baseboards with open-pore wood material. Here are other tips for painting a baseboard.
- Use a wood filler to fill in holes that have been there for some time. Sand the surface also as needed.
- When cleaning the baseboards, use TSP mixed in water or according to the packaging instructions.
- Use painter’s tape on areas that you don’t want to be painted on, or put newspaper or old cloth on the floor to avoid paint splatters.
- Don’t forget the primer before the painting process itself.
These are important tips to remember when painting a baseboard. It can do wonders for your humble home. For your painting needs, make sure to hire the best paint contractors in Franklin TN today!