How to Paint or Stain a Fence
Your fence is not only for adding security and privacy to your home but also boosts curb appeal. That is why you should put in extra effort to make your fence look well-maintained and last for many years. One way is by hiring professional painters in Bellevue TN for your fence painting/staining needs. By painting your fence, it will lessen the risk of damage and rotting and make it look nice all the time.
What type of paint/stain to use on fences
First of all, you need to decide whether to paint or stain your fence. Regardless of your option, one thing is for sure: it will provide your fence protection against the harsh outdoor elements and the usual wear-and-tear. At the same time, it can ensure longevity to your fences.
However, there are some things you should consider when you decide to paint or stain your fence. For one, painting is less expensive but you may need to maintain it more often depending on where you live and the paint you used. You also have to allot time for prepping before starting the paint job itself.
On the other hand, the staining is more expensive. But if you want to achieve a natural look to your wooden fence, then staining is a good choice. You also don’t have to worry about peeling and chipping when you stain. Plus, the stain comes in different colors and opacity choices depending on your liking.
Tips on painting/staining a fence
Does your fence need a major makeover? Here are important painting/staining steps to transform your old, rundown fence into an eye-catching property accent. But before that, you need to know how often you should maintain your fence.
First of all, it depends on where you live. Those who are located in wet regions need to “retouch” their fences more often. You will know if it’s time to repaint/stain if water absorbs into the fence material instead of forming beads on the surface. The same applies if there are the presence of cracks, chips, and other signs of wear and tear.
Here are tips on painting/staining a fence:
- Make sure you have the tools you will need for fence painting/staining. This includes a paintbrush or roller, sandpaper, gloves, fence coating or paint, and drop cloth.
- Apply stripper until the paint or stain finish eventually lifts, and then start scrubbing it off the fence material. You might have to wait for some time before you can remove the finish. Then, rinse the fence using a high-pressure hose or pressure washer.
- Apply a mixture of bleach and soapy water and rinse again before leaving it to dry. Sand the fence material if needed.
- Use masking tape or painter’s tape and drop cloth to cover the areas nearby that you don’t want to be painted.
- Prepare your painting materials such as the brush and paint or stain coating. Work from the top to the bottom of the fence and ensure even application. Continue until the fence is fully covered as desired. Let it dry completely and appreciate your hard work!
You can either do the job by yourself or find some help from the experts. Hire professional painters in your area for your fence makeover. Contact one today!